Using food as a reward is a practice that seems deeply embedded in society. It begins when we are very little; perhaps we were allowed to have a piece of candy for being good at the store. Later on, it became a hot fudge sundae to celebrate good grades or sporting events. At work, perhaps you are treated to office lunches, or office happy hours if you have an especially good sales quarter. In other words, we do this all the time.
However, if you are trying to lose weight and make healthier choices, shaking off the idea of food as a reward can be very difficult. Don’t let this tendency derail your progress. Here is a list of ways you can treat yourself that don’t involve food:
This one is easy enough. Is there some small item that you’ve had your eye on, but have avoided purchasing? Let it motivate you to meet your next goal. Try one of these…
- Buy some new songs, or download a new album to add to your favorite playlist.
- Take yourself on a trip to the bookstore and get that next paperback in the series you’re reading.
- Buy a new lotion, conditioner, shower gel, or lipstick. Anything that makes you feel beautiful.
- Pick up a new pair of sunglasses.
- Get a few flowers or herbs for your garden.
- Go ahead and buy that bracelet you’ve been looking at for weeks.
Sometimes, a simple change of scenery can be its own reward. You don’t necessarily have to book a week’s stay anywhere, but instead can do something simple like…
- Go to a museum to see a new exhibit.
- Spend your lunch break in a park or on a walking trail.
- Take an afternoon and go for a nice long bike ride.
- Change up your usual walking path by driving somewhere new and taking a walking there.
- Plan a day to meet up with friends that you haven’t seen in a while.
- Let your inner child out by visiting a zoo, arcade, or skate park.
Have an Experience
Another great way to reward yourself is by breaking up your usual routine. If you don’t feel like spending money on “stuff,” maybe you would enjoy one of these experiences instead…
- Take a class in a subject that interests you.
- Get a mani/pedi.
- Volunteer with an organization you care about.
- Get up early to watch the sunrise or stay up late to catch a meteor shower.
- Try a new sport.
Invest in Your Fitness
Of course, you can always reward yourself by keeping a good thing going. Try one of these…
- Replace your well-worn sneakers with some brand-new ones.
- Enroll in a class at your gym.
- Get a piece of home workout equipment.
- Buy a piece of rain gear/snow gear/hot weather gear that will allow you to continue working out outside.
- Get professionally fitted for a sports bra.
- By those Bluetooth headphones so you can always have music with your workouts.
You deserve good things for all your good work. How do you plan to treat yourself when you meet your goals?